Wednesday 17 September 2014

Introduction to Kegging

About three months ago, I bought a second hand kegging system from Hauraki Homebrew.   (Basically it's two corny kegs inside a fridge.)

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I purchased it, but I found the following Youtube videos extremely helpful when trying to get it all going.  For someone with zero experience in the realm of kegging, these videos were indispensable.

I also found this kegging carbonation calculator useful:



Here's a picture of my kegging system, once I got everything set up:



The first two beers I made for kegging were ultra-budget extract brews. (I didn't want to waste any money if I stuffed up.)  The one on the right was pretty bland, but the brown porter on the left actually turned out somewhat awesome.  The fact it cost me around $25 made it taste all the sweeter.

Here is the recipe for a 19L batch:

  • 1.7kg can Coopers dark ale hopped malt-extract
  • 550g can Maltexo liquid malt extract
  • 700g brown sugar 
  • 250g chocolate malt (steeped)
  • 8g black patent malt (steeped)
  • 200g caramunich T1 (steeped)
  • 1 packet SafAle US-05
It came out around 4.6%ABV.  Yes, it's cheap and cheerful, but it tasted delicious.  

I call it Squirrelbrau. 





No comments:

Post a Comment